- About INSI
- Safety Resources
- Contact Us
20 Sep 2012
The International News Safety Institute appeals for any information on two journalists missing in Syria for the past month.
Al-Hurra TV correspondent Bashar Fahmi, a Jordanian citizen of Palestinian origin, and his Turkish cameraman Cuneyt Unal, have been missing since they entered Syria on August 20.
Initial reports suggested they had been captured by Syrian loyalist forces in Aleppo.
On August 27 Unal appeared in an interview with a pro-government Syrian television channel. He said that he had been seized by Syrian soldiers in Aleppo and gave a brief statement in which he described himself as part of an international militant force. The Turkish Foreign Minister said that Unal was forced to make the statement.
There was no mention of Fahmi and nothing further has been heard from either man.
On September 4, the Syrian Information Ministry released a statement saying that Fahmi was not with the Syrian authorities.
"The safety of these men is of major concern and we appeal for any information on their whereabouts and wellbeing," said INSI Director Rodney Pinder.
"The Syrian authorities especially have a duty to ensure the safety of all correspondents in their country. They and others in Syria must know something and we ask them to please make contact. INSI assures any informant of the utmost confidentiality."
INSI has recorded the deaths of 23 journalists in Syria this year, and many more have been wounded and arrested and detained.
Anyone with information can contact Rodney Pinder email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile +44 7734 709267